Please note that transport of pets is dependent upon country regulations. Also, it is advisable to check with Azores Airlines for current rules and regulations.
What methods of transport does Azores Airlines (S4) provide for my pet?
Pets can travel in the cabin, as checked baggage or as manifested cargo.
Does my pet qualify for travel as checked baggage?
Pets that meet the following qualifications can travel as checked baggage:
- The pet is no more than 45 kg
- The pet is not considered dangerous
- The pet is a dog, cat, ferret, guinea pig, hamster, chinchilla, aquarium fish, parakeet, canary or other small animal
The following pets are not elible to travel as checked baggage:
- Farm animals
- Fila Brasileiros
- Dogo Argentinos
- Pit Bull Terriers
- American Staffordshire Terriers
- Pregnant pets
Does my pet qualify to travel in the cabin?
Small pets may carried in the cabin provided they meet certain criteria. Containers cannot be placed on airplane seats and the pet must be kept in the container the entire flight. The criteria for travel in the cabin are as follows:
- The animal and container must weigh no more than 8 kg
- The animal must be able to stand up, turn, and lie down in the container
- There is only one animal per container
- The container doors have a fully secure locking system
- Ventilation openings are not large enough for the animal to come out
- The container is escape-proof and leak-proof
- Absorbent material is placed inside the carrier
- The container is no larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm
Does my pet qualify to be shipped as cargo?
If your pet does not meet the requirements for travel in the cabin or as checked baggage, contact Azores Airlines (S4) for more information.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
Pets are included in a passenger's baggage allowance, and standard baggage fees are leveraged if pets exceed the allowance.
What are the kennel requirements?
The kennel must meet the requirements listed below:
- The container must be as long as the animal's length plus half the distance from the ground to the animal's elbow for domestic flights
- The container must be as long as the animal's length plus the distance from the ground to the animal's elbow for international flights
- The container must be twice as wide as the width of the animal's shoulders
- The container must be as high as the animal's height standing for domestic flights
- The container must be 7 cm higher than the animal's height standing for international flights
- The container must have solid walls and proper ventilation
- The container must contain food or water in case of delays or stopovers
What health documentation is required?
Below are the requirements for pets on domestic flights:
- For dogs over three months: electronic identification and proof of rabies vaccination
- For dogs under three months: a veterinary certificate with the motive and period of suspension of vaccination
- For other animals without a health bulletin: a veterinary certificate stating the animal is fit to travel
Below are the requiremnts for pets on European flights:
- Dogs, cats and ferret: pet's passport and electronic identification
- Other domestic animals: veterinary health certificate certifying that the animal is fit for travel
Below are the requirements for pets on routes to or from countries not in the European Union:
- Electronic identification
- Pet passport
- Valid rabies vaccination
- Result of rabies antibody titration, if coming from a country with rabies risk
- Veterinary certificate, if applicable
How do I make arrangements to travel with my pet?
When booking, you must inform Azores Airlines (S4) of the type of animal being carried, the dimensions of the container, and the weight of the animal and container together.
Please contact the airline directly for information about traveling with a service animal.